Announcing LinkedIn’s Searchable Groups Directory
July 8, 2008
We are thrilled to announce the launch of LinkedIn’s Groups Directory on Friday, July 11! With over 90,000 groups on LinkedIn, it was about time to make the complete list easily accessible by our members. The goal with this feature is to make it easier for people to find groups to join, and we think the directory goes a long way toward achieving that goal.
What is LinkedIn Groups?
Many professionals advance their careers and business goals by counting on industry and professional groups, alumni organizations, industry conferences and corporate alumni groups to help them make vital new business contacts. LinkedIn Groups offers extra features to group-based organizations to help their members stay in touch with one another and discover powerful new business contacts within their groups and beyond. (Read more in the FAQs.)
- The Groups Directory is accessible from the left navigation as well as the search drop down in the upper right part of the page.
- Search results return groups that match based on either the group name or a keyword in the group description.
- Search results are sorted by group size with the larger groups appearing at the top.
- Groups may be filtered by category, including alumni, corporate, conference, networking, non-profit, professional, or other.
- If you choose not to list your group in the Groups Directory, we have a setting for group managers on the Edit Group Info page.
- To prevent abuse of the system, users may have up to 10 pending group requests at a time.
We are excited about the future of LinkedIn Groups and hope you will help shape that future by providing feedback to the LinkedIn Groups team: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment at the end of this post.