ABCNews.com: Eight Tips on How to Use Professional Web Sites to Find Your Next Job.
November 10, 2008
ABCNews.com columnist Michelle Goodman wrote an article called, “A Luddite’s Guide to LinkedIn: Eight Tips on How to Use Professional Web Sites to Find Your Next Job.” The piece talks about the importance of using a professional site like LinkedIn to find your next job (even if you aren't currently looking/on the market for a new job).
The eight tips that Michelle mentions in her article are: 1. Boost Your Profile's SEO, 2. Broadcast Your News, 3. Join a Group, 4. Ask and Answer Questions, 5. Find Companies to Work for and Rising Stars to Emulate, 6. Give and Get Recommendations, 7. Make Contacts Judiciously, and 8. Don't Wait Till You Lose Your Job.
Her single piece of advice for job hunters:
I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Join LinkedIn now, even if you have a job to go to every week. If you get laid off, you'll be glad you don't have to scramble to piece together an entire network of professionals willing to go to bat for you.
The piece also links to our VP of Marketing and Advertising, Patrick Crane's ABC7 video interview that was filmed awhile back.
LinkedIn Tips for the Job Hunter:
1. LinkedIn Jobs helps you find or fill that next job using the power of your network.
- Job seekers can utilize inside connections at potential employers to help land their dream job.
- Hiring managers can tap into a network of over 20 million professionals to find the ideal candidate with the specific skill set and experience needed.
2. The right person, talent, or knowledge you’re looking for is already on LinkedIn. Use search to find what you need to be more effective professionally:
- Search by name and other distinguishing characteristics to quickly locate the person you are looking for.
- Use the advanced search to target specific skill sets or find subject-matter experts.
- Conduct reference searches on potential job candidates and business partners.