100 million gumballs
March 22, 2011
As of today we have 100 million professionals on LinkedIn! It's an enormous number and a milestone that we are very proud to reach.
While our early adopters from May 2003 could have a (huge!) party, it would be a bit difficult for all 100 million of us to physically get together and celebrate. Turns out we could do it in a Boeing 747, but in order to do so we'd have to shrink our bodies down to the size of 0.96-inch (24.4mm) diameter gumballs!
In celebration of the occasion, our team of stellar Data Scientists pulled together some fun stats about our members and their professional profiles:
- 56,800 miles (90,900 km): length of the conga line formed by all of our members celebrating our latest milestone. That is equivalent to 9.76 round trips on the road between San Francisco and New York City!
- 74 profiles with Elvis impersonator listed as a position
- 1.3+ billion connections between our members
- 1,091 profiles with chocolatier listed as a position
- 79+ million job transitions/changes tracked
- 46 profiles with beatboxer listed as a position
- 428%: Year-over-year membership growth rate in Brazil, one of our fastest-growing countries
- Lee, Smith and Kumar have alternated over the last 8 years as the most common last name of newly registered users
- 951 years: duration of back-to-back 5-minute phone calls made by 100 million professionals
- 50%: year-over-year growth in our iPhone skill index
- 4 profiles with dog or cat psychologist / psychiatrist listed as a position
- Some industries with the fastest year-over-year new member growth rates: Education (175%), Facilities Services (121%), and Ranching (112%)
- 100% of Fortune 500 companies have executives on LinkedIn
- 1 profile has martini whisperer listed as a position