Introducing LinkedIn University Pages
August 19, 2013
A few years ago, my daughter and I took a road trip to visit schools before she made her final decision about college. I was hoping she’d stay in California, but it wasn’t looking good. She’d fallen in love with a university 2,500 miles away, and I had to admit it was the best choice if she wanted a great robotics program and an equally good music school.
For the past few years, I’d watched my daughter and her friends struggle with these choices. For the most part, they were flying blind. Some knew what they wanted to study – but had no visibility into the career options that would result. Others had a career in mind, like my daughter, but little idea which school would best help them get there. The lucky ones had experienced family or friends who could help them navigate these decisions. For the others, it was truly a shot in the dark.
Through my relationships at LinkedIn, I knew that hidden in millions of member profiles were powerful insights about the career outcomes of educations from universities around the world. If harnessed, these insights could provide incredible value for students – helping them explore possible futures and build a support network to help them succeed on campus and beyond.
So, to make a long story short: A few months later — on the same day in August — my daughter started at her new school 2,500 miles away, and I started my new role at LinkedIn focused on helping future generations find their paths.
And today, I’m delighted to announce the launch of University Pages on LinkedIn – one cornerstone of our strategy to help students at every critical milestone from campus to fulfilling, successful careers.
- Join the conversation: University Pages are a great place to get regular updates about campus news and activities from the schools themselves, to ask questions, and engage with both the campus community and alumni of schools.
- Explore universities worldwide: Interested in graduate schools in France? Start by searching for schools in Paris. Then, explore the careers of graduates to see which schools will get you to your goal. Connect with students or alumni for their perspectives on the school.
- Check out notable alumni: What kinds of leaders does this school produce? From astronauts to architects, executives to entertainers, explore the notable alumni who have done great things since graduation.
- Expand your opportunities: Are you choosing a major or considering a mid-career shift? Explore the careers of philosophy or physics graduates. You might be surprised at the diverse professional paths they’ve taken. See where they live and work, what they do, and even the skills they’ve acquired along the way to see what’s possible for you.
- Build your network: Transform those brilliant, creative, hard-working people you met (or will meet) on campus into a lifelong professional network. Alumni can reconnect with former classmates, and students can cement relationships with current and future classmates.
We believe University Pages will be especially valuable for students making their first, big decision about where to attend college. Therefore, beginning on September 12, we will be making LinkedIn available to high school students* who can use LinkedIn to explore schools worldwide, greatly expand their understanding of the careers available, and get a head start on building a network of family and friends to help guide them at every milestone.
Check out some of the 200 universities who have adopted their pages, including INSEAD, New York University, University of California San Diego, Fundação Getúlio Vargas, University of Michigan, Villanova, Rochester Institute of Technology, University of Illinois, and many more. Over the next few weeks, thousands more schools will be given access to their University Pages. Learn more about what LinkedIn has to offer for education here.
Check out this video with some tips for students:
*Please check out our blog post on changes to our Terms of Service for country specific age requirements.