Don’t Settle: How To Land Your Dream Job At Your Dream Company
June 17, 2014
Peter Gibbons, disgruntled Initech employee from the movie Office Space, once said, “So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.”
Office Space struck a chord with lots of people who relate to being stuck in a dead-end job at a company that doesn’t appreciate them. In fact, 70% of employees say they aren’t enthusiastic about or committed to their work or they don’t contribute to their organization in a positive manner. Sound familiar? If so, don’t settle!
Today we unveiled North America’s Most InDemand Employers -- aka, our annual rankings of the 50 companies our more than 109 million American and Canadian members most want to work for. We calculated the rankings by analyzing billions of interactions between American and Canadian members and companies on LinkedIn. Here are the top 10 (click here to view the full list):
These companies have their pick of the litter when it comes to talent. So what should you do to stand out from the pack and land your next dream job at one of North America’s Most InDemand Employers? We wanted to find out. So we asked the experts at Adobe, lululemon athletica, NBCUniversal, salesforce.com, and VMware. Here’s what they said:
- Be authentic. “Be at the top of your game, have a great track record, and have great relationships. But most of all, be authentic,” says NBCUniversal VP of Talent Acquisition James Ryding. “The culture at NBCUniversal is not a faceless corporate culture, it’s a culture that allows people to have a personality. Being true to your personality while maintaining professionalism is the key to success with landing your dream job here. It will shine through in your applications, and will set your relationships on a genuine footing when you start with us.” lululemon athletica Manager of Recruitment Isabella Egan says, “Know what it is that you want to do and have a plan as to how you are going to get there. On our website you will see there are Vision and Goal coaching tips. As recruiters, we love it when a candidate completes the worksheet because it helps us understand more of who they are as an individual, above and beyond their education and experience. It also helps us see where they see themselves going in the next one year, five years and 10 years and how we can help them get there!”
- Do your homework. “We are social,” says salesforce.com SVP of Global Employee Success Monika Fahlbusch. “Get to know us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, and then find someone in your network to refer you in.” VMware Director of Executive Staffing Anu Datta says, “We encourage prospects to do their homework by understanding our business, people and culture.”
- Showcase you’re a team player. “Adobe looks for three key factors -- differentiation, motivation and collaboration,” says Adobe VP of Global Talent Selection and Development Jeff Vijungco. “We want individuals with a unique skillset that complements the team, a sense of urgency to deliver beyond what’s possible and ‘we’ rather than ‘me’ team players.”
- Think big. VMware Manager of Employment Brand Marketing Judy Phung says, “We are looking for intellectual mavericks at VMware. People who approach situations with ingenuity and drive.” salesforce.com’s Fahlbusch says, “When you interview, show us your passion, your innovative mind, and intrigue us with your big ideas on the impact you could have on our company, customers and our community.”
- Demonstrate you’re adaptable. “Prospects should be open and determined about pursuing passions yet flexible enough to jump in to anything,” says VMware’s Datta.
So there you have it. Congrats to North America’s Most InDemand
Employers and good luck landing your dream job!
*Please note that while talent is our top priority, we exclude LinkedIn from the InDemand rankings.